Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area
|Click Here for Reservations & Availability Information|
Arkansas Headwaters is one of the nation's premier recreation areas. Stretching for 152 miles along the Arkansas River, the area offers abundant and outstanding opportunities for fishing, rafting, kayaking, picnicking, hiking, camping, mountain biking, and sightseeing among deep canyons, broad valleys and towering mountain peaks. The cities and towns along the river - Leadville, Buena Vista, Poncha Springs, Salida, Canon City, Florence and Pueblo - offer fine dining, lodging and plenty of Western hospitality.
The Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA) is a landmark cooperative effort of the U.S. Bureau of Land Management and Colorado Parks and Wildlife. Through this partnership, the agencies provide visitors with outstanding recreation opportunities and care for the nationally significant natural resources of the upper Arkansas River Valley.
Please call the number below directly for updated information before you make your on-line camping reservation. Please note that a daily fee or annual parks pass is required for entry into the park at fee sites.
LOCATION: Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area, 307 West Sackett Avenue, Salida CO 81201.
For Current Rates and Availability; To Make Your Reservations: 719-539-7289 or 1-800-678-2267.
- Specialty Discounts (call for availability): Seniors.
- Camping Open Dates: All Year
- Along a Highway: Easy access for quick and convenient RVing along Interstate or State Highways.
- RV Sites: 69
- Tent Sites: 100
- Total Sites: 101
- Long RV Sites 45+ Feet: 32 RV sites are 45 feet or longer.
- Pull-Thru Sites: 14
- Elevation: 7416 feet above sea level.
- Region: Salida - South Central, Colorado
- Location: Away from Town, but close to a community convenience store and restaurant.
- Setting: Mountain views. Waterfront setting along a river, stream or creek. Adjoins public lands. Forested.
- OPEN Campfires (individual use): Yes. (If no local fire bans are active.)
- BBQ Grills (individual use): Yes
- Credit Cards: Visa Card. MasterCard.
- Pets at Campground & RV Park: Pets are allowed at campsites for no additional cost. Well-behaved dogs or cats are allowed on a leash outdoors while their owners are on-site.
- Groups Welcome: Reunion. Retreat.
- Group Meeting Area: Outdoor area.
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in COVERED Outdoor Picnic Area: 75
- National Forests & BLM Lands: On site.
- State Parks: On site.
- Designated Scenic/Historic Byway: Along the scenic byway.
- Designated Hiking Trails: Trails start on site.
- Fishing in River, Stream or Creek: On site.
- Guided Fishing Trips (Licensed): Wade Fishing. Float Fishing.
- Whitewater Rafting Office/Pickup point: On site.
- Kayaking Rentals: On site.
- Designated Whitewater Park (Kayak, Canoe): On site.
- Jeep Trails: Trails start on site. (off road, back country, 4WD, Jeep, or jeeping).
- ATV (All Terrain Vehicles) and/or Dirt Bike Trails: Trails start on site.
- Tourist Train Rides: On site.
- Mine Tours: On site.
- Mountain Bike Trails: Trails start on site.
- Bike Path: Path starts on site.
- Cross Country Skiing Trails: 15 minutes drive to trailhead.
- Snowshoe Trails: Trails on site.
- Snowmobile Trails: 15 minutes drive to trailhead.
- Snowmobile Tours: 30 minutes drive.