State Forest State Park
Moose is our claim to fame!
North Park is considered the moose viewing capital of Colorado, with over 600 moose to be observed year-round; only a couple of hours west of Fort Collins.
The ultimate in rugged Colorado, the Colorado State Forest offers vacationers 71,000-acres of forest, jagged peaks and alpine lakes -- a true backcountry hiking, camping or hunting experience. If you want to get-a-way from the crowds to camp near turquoise mountain lakes, catch fish and enjoy the unspoiled natural landscape Colorado is famous for, Colorado State Forest is for you.
Crags Campground offers vacationers 26 developed sites; not recommended for trailers or motorhomes. Ranger Lakes has 32 electric sites and is directly accessible from Highway 14 and is within a short walk of Ranger Lakes' fishing areas.
Nestled in a dense forest along the shore of North Michigan Reservoir 6 rustic camper cabins at State Forest are available for year-round rental. The cabins range from smaller cabins that sleep a maximum of six, to the Old Camp Pennock Lodge and Columbine Lodge, which sleep up to 21 and 15, respectively. Cabins offer outdoor fire grills and picnic tables; however, they don't have electricity, running water, blankets or bedding.
Geo-Caching, high-tech hide-and-seek, GPS units are available for rent at the Moose Visitor Center.
The Kelly Lake Trail and the Clear Lake Trail make excellent destinations for horseback riders. Please Note: Horses are not allowed inside the campgrounds, or on the Lake Agnes Trail.
Wakeless boating is available, in keeping with the unspoiled nature of this park.
Please call the number below directly for updated information before you make your on-line reservation. Please note that a daily fee or annual parks pass is required for entry into the park.
LOCATION: State Forest State Park, 56750 Highway 14, Walden CO 80480.
For Current Rates and Availability; To Make Your Reservations: 970-723-8366.
|Click Here for Reservations & Availability Information|
- Lodging Open Dates: All Year
- Cabins/Cottages without Cooking Facilities: 6
- Camper Cabins/Yurts: 15
- Units with Queen Beds: Some units.
- Units with Wood Stoves: 12
- Camping Open Dates: All Year
- Along a Highway: Easy access for quick and convenient RVing along Interstate or State Highways.
- RV Sites: 32
- Tent Sites: 187
- Total Sites: 219
- Electric Hookups: 32 sites with electric only.
- Long RV Sites 45+ Feet: 32 RV sites are 45 feet or longer.
- Pull-Thru Sites: 26
- Elevation: 9100 feet above sea level.
- Region: Walden (North Park) - North Central, Colorado
- Location: Away from Town, but close to a community convenience store and restaurant.
- Setting: Mountain views. Forested.
- OPEN Campfires (individual use): Yes. (If no local fire bans are active.)
- BBQ Grills (individual use): Yes
- Credit Cards: Visa Card. MasterCard.
- Pets in Lodging: All Pets are allowed in private rental units. There may be a fee or a deposit.
- Pets at Campground & RV Park: Pets are allowed at campsites for no additional cost. Well-behaved dogs or cats are allowed on a leash outdoors while their owners are on-site.
- Guest's Horses Welcome (call for availability): You may bring your horse.
- Horse Trails: Trails start on site.
- Groups Welcome: Club. Corporate. Youth group with adult leaders.
- Group Meeting Area: Indoor room.
- Conference Center: Meeting room with tables and chairs can be set up class room style. Some A/V equipment available for seminars. Call for more details.
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in Indoor Meeting Room: 30
- Maximum # of Camping Sites with a Group: 17
- State Parks: On site.
- Designated Hiking Trails: Trails start on site.
- Fishing in River, Stream or Creek: On site.
- Fishing in Lake, Reservoir or Pond: On site.
- Jeep Trails: Trails start on site. (off road, back country, 4WD, Jeep, or jeeping).
- ATV (All Terrain Vehicles) and/or Dirt Bike Trails: Trails start on site.
- Mountain Bike Trails: Trails start on site.
- Cross Country Skiing Trails: Trails start on site.
- Snowshoe Trails: Trails on site.
- Snowmobile Trails: Trails start on site.