Museum of the Mountain West - Where the West Comes Alive
|Visit our Web site|
Where History Comes Alive IN WESTERN COLORADO
Welcome . . . The Museum of the Mountain West is located in beautiful Montrose, Colorado. Approximately 40 western movies have been filmed in beautiful Colorado!
Experience what it was like to live in western Colorado during the time of pioneers, cowboys, ranchers, and the railroad. View 500,000 artifacts from the mountain west displayed in store and office displays circa 1880-1930. These 23 restored exterior and original buildings include a 2-story carriage house with blacksmith, a one-room schoolhouse, teacherage, hotel with saloon, railroad buildings and general store. Within the interior main building are 11 businesses with furnishings of the period.
GIFT SHOP: Offers a wide selection of souvenirs from $1 to $3,000 with many antiques.
VENUE RENTAL: The 1913 German Lutheran Church Building is available for rent: weddings, banquets, seminars, concerts and holiday parties.
Tour the Museum of the Mountain West
All tours are guided by docents so that your experience is enjoyable and educational. Allow 2 hours for a complete tour. You will experience what it was like to live in western Colorado in the 1880's to the 1940's.
Discover over 500,000 artifacts found in store and office displays. Among the buildings, highlights include an old saloon and general store both stocked with many original items from life back in the day.
COST OF ADMISSION: $10 Adults; $5 School Age; Groups of 12+ $7 each.
HOURS: Monday-Saturday from 8:30-4:30. All tours are guided and include the history and stories of the old west.
MUSEUM LOCATION: 2 miles east of Montrose, Colorado at the intersection of US Highway 50 and East Miami Road. From Grand Junction, Colorado drive South on US Highway 50 for about an hour. The main entrance is on Miami at 68169 E. Miami Road. Turn at the museum sign and park in front of the large metal building to your left when you enter the grounds. 68169 Miami Rd, Montrose CO 81401.
Reservations suggested for tours for groups of 15 or more.
For Current Information; To Make Your Reservations: 970-240-3400.
- Specialty Discounts (call for availability): Groups.
- Elevation: 5806 feet above sea level.
- Region: Montrose Area - Southwest, Colorado
- Credit Cards: Visa Card. MasterCard. Discover Card. American Express.
GROUPS REUNIONS AND WEDDINGS
- Groups Welcome: Club. Reunion. Weddings. Youth group with adult leaders.
- Group Meeting Area: Indoor room.
- Conference Center: Meeting room with tables and chairs can be set up class room style. Some A/V equipment available for seminars. Call for more details.
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in Indoor Meeting Room: 100
- Your Host will Provide Wedding Planning Help: Yes
FUN THINGS TO DO
- Open Dates For On-Site Activities: All Year
PRIMARILY YEAR ROUND ACTIVITIES
- Museum: On site.
PRIMARILY SUMMER ACTIVITIES
- Historic/Cultural Tours: On site.