Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad
America's Highest and Longest Narrow Gauge Railroad.
Hidden away in a little-known corner of the southern Rocky Mountains is a precious historic artifact of the American West that time forgot. Built in 1880 and changed very little since, the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is the finest example of North America's mountain steam engine era. Its equipment, structures and vast landscape exist today as if frozen in the first half of the twentieth century.
The time has long passed when the railroad last hauled precious metals over Cumbres Pass; But, its steam locomotives still labor up steep grades carrying vacationers over high trestles, through tunnels, and along narrow shelves above yawning gorges. In an era of strip malls, cruise ships and jumbo jets, the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad provides an experience for those seeking something different.
All trains except the "Cinder Express" stop for lunch at Osier, Colorado -- roughly the mid-point of the railroad -- where a hot meal with salad bar and homemade desserts is included in the fare.
RESERVATIONS: Toll Free Reservations and Information: 1-888-CUMBRES (1-888-286-2737)
Chama, New Mexico Depot.
Chama Depot: 1-505-756-2151
Chama is on US Highway 64/84: 47 miles east of Pagosa Springs, CO; and 95 miles west of Taos. The station is in the center of town along New Mexico Highway 17. Physical Address: 500 Terrace Drive, Chama New Mexico 87520.
Antonito Depot: 1-719-376-5483
Antonito is on US Highway 285: 28 miles south of Alamosa, Colorado. The depot is located at the intersection of US Highway 285 and Colorado Highway 17, on the southern edge of town. Physical Address: 5234 B Highway 285, Antonito Colorado 81120.
|Visit our Web site|
- Elevation: 10000 feet above sea level.
- Region: Antonito - South Central, Colorado
- Region: Chama - North Central, New Mexico
- Restaurant: On site.
- Meals Regularly Served: Lunch.
- Credit Cards: Visa Card. MasterCard. Discover Card. American Express.
- Groups Welcome: Club. Corporate. Reunion. Weddings. Youth group with adult leaders. Retreat.
- Group Meeting Area: Indoor room.
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in Indoor Meeting Room: 100
- Open Dates For On-Site Activities: 5/25 to 10/20
- National Forests & BLM Lands: On site.
- Designated Historic District, Site or Plaza: On site.
- Museum: On site.
- Restaurant(s): On site.
- Tourist Train Rides: On site.