Rio Chama RV Park
Stay here and ride or take photos of the Cumbres and Toltec Narrow Gauge Train as steams over the river on historic bridge by our park. Camp along the Rio Chama with tall trees to shade our grassy sites. Sites have 30 amp or 50 amp service. Big rigs will enjoy the spacious 60 foot drive-thrus sites with room for slideouts. Some sites have BBQ's. 20 river view sites. All have fires rings and picnic tables. Separate area for tenters.
There is a railroad car clubhouse on site, a covered picnic shelter and now a new pavilion. Pancake breakfasts served on occasional Saturdays. Angler's will delight in the excellent salmon and trout fishing at nearby Heron Lake and El Vado Lake State Parks. Or fish on site along the Rio Chama known for its trout; there is whitewater rafting on the river. Because of our central location at the southern end of the Rocky Mountains, we are within a day's drive of Santa Fe, Taos, Mesa Verde, Sandia Peak and Pikes Peak. RV supplies available.
A brief railroad history (we're railroad buffs)
The San Juan Extension: The track over which the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad runs was originally built by the Denver & Rio Grande out of Denver, Colorado. After reaching Alamosa, its tracks headed south toward Antonito, then west into the mountains, reaching Chama, New Mexico in 1880 with its intended destination being Durango and Silverton Colorado, 107 and 152 miles away (respectively), being reached by the year 1882. The most scenic section is now preserved as The Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. When you are up in the high passes and the clatter of rail joints lulls your mind, think of all the people, and all their reasons for traveling, that have gone this way before. In one hundred years, that's a lot of reasons.
We are located in northern New Mexico, only 7 miles south of Colorado on scenic Highway 17. Two blocks North of Train depot on Highway 17. PO Box 706, Chama, NM 87520; 575-756-2303.
- Additional Amenities (ask about availability): Coffee Maker with coffee.
- Specialty Discounts (call for availability): Groups.
- Camping Open Dates: 5/1 to 10/15
- Along a Highway: Easy access for quick and convenient RVing along Interstate or State Highways.
- Tent Camping Rates: $16 a night for two people.
- RV Camping Rates: Range from $26 to $39 a night for two people.
- Additional Person Rate: Adult: $3. Kids free under the age of 2. Kids: $2.
- Weekly RV Camping Rates On-Season: Range from $156.00 to $234.00 for two people.
- Monthly RV Site Rates (Electricity Included) On-Season: Range from $351.00 to $526.00 for two people.
- RV Sites: 78
- Tent Sites: 14
- Separate Tenting Area: Yes
- Total Sites: 92
- Electric & Water Hookups: 27 sites with electric and water only.
- Full Hookups: 51 sites with water, electric and sewer.
- 50 Amp Hookups: 10 sites with 50 amp electrical service.
- Long RV Sites 45+ Feet: 57 RV sites are 45 feet or longer.
- Pull-Thru Sites: 57
- RV Sites Wide Enough for Slideout(s): 78
- Separate Group Camping Area: Yes
- Elevation: 7960 feet above sea level.
- Region: Antonito - South Central, Colorado
- Region: Chama - North Central, New Mexico
- Location: Close to Town.
- Setting: Mountain views. Waterfront setting along a river, stream or creek. Country feel. Forested.
- OPEN Campfires (individual use): Yes. (If no local fire bans are active.)
- On-Property in Central Area for Guests to Use: Wood Stove. Central Area for OPEN Campfires. (If no local fire bans are active.) Central Picnic Area with BBQ Grills.
- Credit Cards: Visa Card. MasterCard.
- Pets at Campground & RV Park: Pets are allowed at campsites for no additional cost. Well-behaved dogs or cats are allowed on a leash outdoors while their owners are on-site.
- Vet Services: Walking Distance (within 1 block).
- Phone: Public payphones.
- VCR: Available.
- DVD Player: Available.
- Wi-Fi Wireless Internet: Available free.
- Groups Welcome: Club. Youth group with adult leaders.
- Group Meeting Area: Indoor room and outdoor area.
- Central Area for OPEN Campfires: Yes. (If no local fire bans are active.)
- Central Picnic Area with BBQ Grills: Yes
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in Indoor Meeting Room: 14
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in COVERED Outdoor Picnic Area: 48
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in Outdoor Open Picnic Area: 65
- Maximum # of Camping Sites with a Group: 50
- National Forests & BLM Lands: 10 minutes drive.
- Designated Historic District, Site or Plaza: Walking distance.
- Designated Scenic/Historic Byway: Along the scenic byway.
- Museum: Walking distance.
- Art Gallery: 3 minutes drive.
- Restaurant(s): Walking distance.
- Internet Cafe: 3 minutes drive.
- Casino Gambling: 30 minutes drive.
- Stocked Fishing Pond: 25 minutes drive.
- Fishing in River, Stream or Creek: On site.
- Fishing in Lake, Reservoir or Pond: 25 minutes drive.
- Fishing Tackle Sold: Walking Distance (within 1 block).
- Boat Rentals: Canoe, Raft, Row, Paddle &/or Motor: 25 minutes drive.
- Whitewater Rafting Office/Pickup point: 60 minutes drive.
- Kayaking Rentals: 25 minutes drive.
- Horseback Trail Rides (Guided): 5 minutes drive.
- Jeep Trails: 15 minute drive. (Off road, back country, 4WD.)