Last Chance Mine: Underground Tour & Museum
|Visit our Web site|
Rock Collecting Site Open To The Public
HISTORY: The Last Chance Mine was the last major silver strike in Colorado. In 1889, Ralph Granger and Eric Von Buddenbrock grubstaked Theodore Renninger who discovered the silver. The Granger family became the sole owner until Jack Morris bought the mine in 1998. Three years later Jack began restoring the mine. Restoration is ongoing.
NEW 2017: Two new museums, 2 new tunnels and 2 additional rock collecting areas are opening for more experienced and agile collectors.
ROCK HOUNDS-ROCK HUNTING: Collect beautiful minerals, Sowbelly Agate, found only in the Creede mining district! Rare turquoise, galena, zinc, shalpalerite, pink rhodonite, native silver, chalcopyrite, copper, red jasper, pyrite, black manganese coated amethyst crystals, amethyst crystal plates, drusy amethyst, cessurite, and galena ferrous silver. Keep what you find for $2 per pound. We are the best rock site and shop within 200 miles for rocks, minerals, and fossils from around the world.
PRESERVATION & RESTORATION: The original floor plans are followed as closely as possible allowing for safety and ease of access. In 2011, the Nancy Granger Schallen Museum opened with displays of minerals, mining equipment, and artifacts from 1891 to 1949.
TOURS: The Last Chance Mine has 13 levels with 30 miles of tunnels. Underground Tours into the #2 Portal began in August 2016.
GEO CACHE: Latitude: 37.891874 Longitude: 106.942093
LAST CHANCE MINE STORE: Jewelry, created by Jack Morris, using amethyst, sowbelly agate, turquoise, silver ore from the mine; rocks; minerals; and clothing are available
MEETING AREAS: 3 meeting spaces, each with a restroom.
OPEN: Memorial Day weekend through mid-October: Museum and Gift Shop hours 9-5; and mine tours from 10:30 to 4:30.
LOCATION: 504 Last Chance Mine Rd, Creede CO 81130. On the Bachelor Loop Tour Route.
For Current Tour Information; Directions: 719-238-7959.
- Elevation: 10600 feet above sea level.
- Region: Creede - Southwest, Colorado
- Credit Cards: Visa Card. MasterCard. Discover Card. American Express.
- Groups Welcome: Youth group with adult leaders.
- Group Meeting Area: Indoor room and outdoor area.
- Central Picnic Area with BBQ Grills: Yes
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in Indoor Meeting Room: 7
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in COVERED Outdoor Picnic Area: 12
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in Outdoor Open Picnic Area: 8
- Open Dates For On-Site Activities: 5/28 to 10/16
- Designated Historic District, Site or Plaza: On site.
- Designated Scenic/Historic Byway: Along the scenic byway.
- Museum: On site.
- Mine Tours: On site.
- Historic/Cultural Tours: On site.