Doc's Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Sports and Boat Rentals -- Open from Ice to Ice
DOC'S is the hub for all activities involving THE LAKE! Whether or not you have a vessel, an hour or a week, all of your family's aquatic dreams start here.
FLY-SHOP AND EQUIPMENT RENTALS: fishing and sporting goods sold. Fishing pole rentals.
BOAT RENTALS: motor boat, canoe, paddle-boat, and pontoon.
SERVICES: boat repairs, boat storage, winterization, upholstery repairs.
WATER SPORTS SCHOOL: water ski and wake boarding lessons.
MCPHEE RESERVOIR LAKE RECREATION AREA With both Rainbow Trout and Bass, McPhee is "the best fishing spot in the San Juan Basin." It is surreal to soak in the sun or play on the water at 8,000 feet above sea level, with a backdrop of snow-covered mountain peaks in the distance. McPhee is the 2nd largest lake in Colorado and offers great fishing, boating, and hiking. There are fisherman access points, boat ramps, picnic, and recreation areas.
There is no marina at the lake, which makes a stop a Doc's necessary.
RIVER RECREATION: The Dolores River starts near Lizard Head Pass in the San Juan Mountain and follows Highway 145 through Rico and into Lake McPhee. The West Fork of the Dolores River has the same starting point but travels along Road 38 traveling past Dunton. Both rivers are suitable for kayak or canoe. Fly-fishing is a must on both rivers.
BIRD NERDS (affectionately) and SHUTTERBUGS unite! Be it by canoe, paddle or power boat, one-hundred-foot Ponderosa Pines with Osprey nests as big as your tent, are waiting for you! Osprey included! Hopefully! There's a good chance you'll also see Great Blues, Mountain Blue Birds, Cliff Swallows, Bald Eagles and Northern Flickers along the shoreline.
MCPHEE RESERVOIR LAKE LOCATION: From Dolores, take Colorado Highway 145 south, turn west on Highway 184 for about 7 miles. Look for the McPhee Recreation Area sign on the north side of the highway and turn onto County Road 25, then take the first right, you should easily find the public boat lunch and reservoir.
- Specialty Discounts (call for availability): Firefighters and Police Officers. Military Personnel.
- Elevation: 6900 feet above sea level.
- Region: Dolores Area - Southwest, Colorado
- Groups Welcome: Club. Corporate. Reunion. Weddings. Youth group with adult leaders. Retreat.
- Group Meeting Area: Outdoor area.
- Central Picnic Area with BBQ Grills: Yes
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in COVERED Outdoor Picnic Area: 50
- Open Dates For On-Site Activities: 4/1 to 11/1
- Fishing in Lake, Reservoir or Pond: 30 minutes drive.
- Fly Shop: 30 minutes drive.
- Boat Rentals: Canoe, Raft, Row, Paddle &/or Motor: On site.