Gunnison River Expeditions: Fishing, Rafting, Hunting
|Visit our Web site|
Adventures into the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
In 2007, Gunnison River Outfitters became the proud owners of Gunnison River Expeditions. Gunnison River Outfitters focus on rivers with outstanding wilderness character, challenging whitewater, jet boat trips on the Confluence of the Gunnison River, and excellent fly-fishing.
Our guides possess extraordinary fishing, whitewater, and outfitting skills.
We raft the Black Canyon of the Gunnison from May through September.
Whitewater adventures are available in three areas, Gunnison Gorge, Dominguez to Escalante Canyon and the Confluence of the North Fork to Austin.
Gunnison Gorge: The Gunnison Gorge offers a 14 mile of whitewater adventure filled with exciting rapids, Precambrian rock formations and wildlife. The Gorge is full of pool drop rapids, ranging from class II to class IV rapids. While in the pool section, you can spot interesting wildlife such as bighorn sheep, river otters, mule deer, eagles and wild chukar. The spectacular view of the deep canyon walls reveals Precambrian rock formations; some of the oldest exposed rock formations on earth.
Dominguez to Escalante Canyon: Deep in the Gunnison River Canyon between Delta and Grand Junction, Colorado, are Escalante and Dominguez Canyons. The domain of outlaw cowboys and the Ute Indians, these canyons hold secrets of the past. This wilderness area can be visited only by boat. Chiseled out of the cliff-forming Wingate, Entrada, Morrison, and Dakota formations, Dominguez Canyon features Ute and Fremont Indian petroglyphs and dwellings, waterfalls and plunge pools, wildlife and dinosaur remnants. Gentle class I & II water makes the Escalante to Dominguez float an excellent beginner paddle raft trip.
Confluence to the North Fork to Austin: This stretch of the Gunnison River has class I-class II rapids, offering a more laid back experience. Good for young kids, families, and kid's clubs. We offer 1/2-day and full day trips. You can expect to see abundant wildlife on this scenic trip.
We offer fishing excursions on the following rivers: the Gunnison, North Fork of the Gunnison, Black Canyon of the Gunnison and the Forks of Austin.
Operating under Special Recreation Permit issued by the Bureau of Land Management.
We provide expert guidance for beginners to the very skilled to insure your angling success. Rainbows and brown trout from 16 to 20 inches are very common.
Magnificent scenery and abundant wildlife add to your enjoyment as you travel through this billion-year-old canyon, making this a truly unforgettable experience.
The Gunnison Gorge of the Black Canyon is a world renowned trout fishery, known for its large wild rainbows and brown trout.
Your adventure begins with a 4-wheel drive trip to the trailhead of Chukar Trail.
Gunnison River Expeditions has the only jet boat permit in the state of Colorado, so you are sure to be the first of your friends to experience this new adventure!
Make Your Reservations with Gunnison River Expeditions: Fishing, Rafting, Hunting
Call Al, For Current Rates and Availability; To Make Your Reservations: 970-872-3232 cell 970-778-8431.
- Specialty Discounts (call for availability): Stay & Play Packages Groups.
- Elevation: 5500 feet above sea level.
- Region: Montrose Area - Southwest, Colorado
- Region: North Fork Valley - Northwest, Colorado
- OPEN Campfires (individual use): Yes. (If no local fire bans are active.)
- Credit Cards: Visa Card. MasterCard.
GROUPS REUNIONS AND WEDDINGS
- Groups Welcome: Club. Corporate. Reunion. Weddings. Elopements. Youth group with adult leaders. Retreat.
- Group Meeting Area: Indoor room and outdoor area.
- Central Picnic Area with BBQ Grills: Yes
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in Indoor Meeting Room: 20
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in Outdoor Open Picnic Area: 100
FUN THINGS TO DO
- Open Dates For On-Site Activities: All Year
PRIMARILY YEAR ROUND ACTIVITIES
- Designated Scenic/Historic Byway: Along the scenic byway.
PRIMARILY SUMMER ACTIVITIES
- Guided Fishing Trips (Licensed): Wade Fishing. Float Fishing. Lake Fishing.
- Fishing Tackle Sold: On site.
- Paddle Shop: On site.
- Whitewater Rafting Office/Pickup point: On site.
- Kayaking Rentals: On site.
- Horseback Trail Rides (Guided): On site.
- Horse Rides with a Wrangler (Open Range): On site.
- Horse Riding Lessons: On site.
- Jeep Trails: Trails start on site. (off road, back country, 4WD, Jeep, or jeeping).
- ATV (All Terrain Vehicles) and/or Dirt Bike Trails: Trails start on site.
- Mountain Bike Trails: Trails start on site.
- Hunting in Area: On site.
- Guided Hunts: Yes.
- Private Land Unguided Hunting On-Site: Yes.
- Rifle Hunting Season: Yes.
- Archery Hunting Season: Yes.
- Muzzle Loading Hunting Season: Yes.
- Bird Hunting (Turkey, Grouse, Pheasant): Yes.
- Deer Hunting: Yes.
- Elk Hunting: Yes.
- Bear Hunting: Yes.
- Mountain Lion Hunting: Yes.
- Colorado Hunting Units/Areas: 63,