Colorado Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking
Uncompahgre River Rafting & Kayaking
Rafting in the Colorado Rockies is a breathtaking experience-literally. Each spring, massive volumes of snowmelt makes its way from the high country, squeezes through canyons and creates whitewater, the essence of rafting. Outfitters operate commercial raft trips on 13 river systems throughout Colorado. River guides are entertainers, historians, geologists, biologists and chefs. Along with the excitement and laughter, you'll also come away from a Colorado river trip with an education. The State of Colorado requires that commercial river outfitters be licensed. The majority of rafting trips take place from May through August. There are Minimum age requirements depending on the classification of whitewater.
The International Rapid Rating Scale:
- Class I: Easy. Fast moving water with riffles, small waves.
- Class II: Novice. Straightforward rapids, wide, clear channels.
- Class III: Intermediate. Rapids, moderate, irregular waves.
- Class IV: Advanced. Intense, powerful rapids, precise boat handling.
- Class V: Expert. Long, obstructed, violent rapids.
More Activities & Information
Montrose Area, Colorado includes: Cimarron, Olathe
Ouray, Colorado includes: Ridgway