Big Thompson River Fishing Map
Access for the Big Thompson River near Estes Park is widely available for all variety of anglers. From Olympus Dam at the east end of Lake Estes to Waltonia Bridge requires a fly or lure for catch and release fishing. The rest of the Big Thompson River canyon is open fishing and continues to provide highly accessible water to Idylwilde Dam. Access points include, but are not limited to:
- Mall Road - at the east end of Lake Estes just beyond Olympus Dam, between US 34 & US 36.
- Green Bridge - the first bridge traveling east on US 34, there is a large pull-off on the north side. Fishing access is also available slightly further east near the Roosevelt National Forest sign and near mile marker 66.
- Call Box - approximately 1/2 mile past the second bridge is a call box with a large paved parking area on the north side of US 34.
- Big Lot Access - near mile marker 69 is a large pullout to the north of US 34. Access for fishing continues for the full mile between mile marker 69 & 70
- Caddis Flats - this is the last pullout for the mile stretch. There are numerous access points between milemarker 69 & 70.
- Dead End Road - this is a short road off US 34 leading downhill to where the river meanders away for the highway. At the bottom of the road is a turnaround with parking.
- Handicap Fishing Access - there is access for fishing above and below the handicap access as well.
- Waltonia Bridge - between mile marker 73 & 74, there is a large pullout, there is good access for a 1/2 mile.
- Drake - the town of Drake is about 2 miles east of Waltonia Bridge. Just before Drake there is access between milemarker 74 & 75.
- Forks Division of Wildlife - access is south of US 34 in the State Wildlife Area.
- Idylwilde Dam - a rest area with a large stillwater section of the river. Fishing with bait allowed.
More Activities & Information
Estes Park, Colorado includes: Drake