Colorado Jeep & 4WD
Upper San Luis Valley Jeeping & ATV/UTV Trails
The mining history of Colorado is present around the San Luis Valley; old mining roads are now used as off-road trails for Jeeps and ATVs offering you access to some of the most spectacular views of Colorado's backcountry. These trails will prove challenging to all levels making this an excellent area for families. Most of the trails run north of Saguache, west of Villa Grove, and west of La Garita but there are many other trails for you to play on in the area.
- Trail 660 is accessed from Road 38A southwest out of La Garita. You will pass by Penitente Canyon, which offers even more Jeep/ATV Trails.
- Road 41G west of La Garita turns into Trail 690 once you enter the National Forest and returns to Road 41G once you leave and meet up with Highway 114. There are many more trails to the west of Trail 690.
- Trail 970 leading east out of Villa Grove will take you up and over Hayden Pass. While this pass is not above 14,000', you will find it to be challenging the higher up you go.
- Road 880 off of Highway 114 turns into Trail 880 once it enters the Rio Grande National Forest. The Brewery Creek Guard Station is along this road in case of emergencies.
- Road 842 off of Highway 114 turns into Trail 842 once it enters the Rio Grande National Forest. You can also access Trail 852 from 842 and take it over Ute Pass.
- Trails 862, 876, and 874 are north of Bonanza. To access use Road LL56 until you enter the National Forest and hook up with the trails.
Please note: not all trails are on this map as we are limited on space. There are many more trails in the area; for example, there are trails within the Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve (please check with Park Rangers before riding). If you are looking for more trail options, please contact the Local Ranger District Office
More Activities & Information
Alamosa, Colorado includes: Blanca, Capulin, Center, Fort Garland, Hooper, Mosca, San Luis, Sanford
Del Norte, Colorado includes: Monte Vista
San Luis Valley - Northern, Colorado includes: Crestone, Mineral Hot Springs, Moffat, Saguache, Villa Grove