Elkhead Reservoir State Park
|Visit our Website|
In the beautiful Yampa Valley west of Steamboat Springs and near Hayden, Elkhead Reservoir is only flat-water recreation area in Moffat County. This 900-acre reservoir provides endless recreational opportunities: boating, swimming, jet skiing, skiing, picnicking, wildlife watching, hiking, camping, bird watching, biking, horseback riding, hunting, fishing, and many photo opportunities to name just a few of the activities your family will enjoy.
The newly built campground at Elkhead (Bear's Ears) has 16 basic campsites with a self-serve fee tube for self serve payment by cash or check. The campground sits majestically over the reservoir offering boaters, skiers and fisherman the convenience of starting their day early.
Fish for trout, northern pike and small mouth bass from the banks at public access sites. Valid Colorado fishing licenses are required, be sure to bring yours.
The reservoir loop trail provided access to Greenwood's Cove, Cedar Bend and East Beach. The trail is open in the spring, summer and fall to all forms of non-motorized transportation.
Please call the number below directly for updated information before you make your on-line reservation. Please note that a daily fee or annual parks pass is required for entry into the park.
NOTE: Open and close dates are weather dependent; no credit cards accepted at this campground; as there is only a self-serve money tube.
LOCATION: Elkhead Reservoir State Park, at the Junction of County Road 29 & County Road 28, Hayden CO 81639
For Fishing Conditions; Current Rates and Availability; To Make Your Reservations: 970-276-2061
- Camping Open Dates: 4/1 to 11/1
- RV Sites: 16
- Tent Sites: 16
- Total Sites: 16
- Pull-Thru Sites: 4
- RV Sites Wide Enough for Slideout(s): 16
- Region: Steamboat Springs - Northwest, Colorado
- Location: Remote, far away from a community convenience store and restaurant.
- Setting: Mountain views. Waterfront setting beside a lake, reservoir or pond.
- Pets at Campground & RV Park: Pets are allowed at campsites for no additional cost. Well-behaved dogs or cats are allowed on a leash outdoors while their owners are on-site.
FUN THINGS TO DO
Primarily Year Round Activities
- State Parks: On site.
- Designated Hiking Trails: Trails start on site.
Primarily Summer Activities
- Fishing in Lake, Reservoir or Pond: On site.
- Hunting in Area: On site.
- Bird Hunting (Turkey, Grouse, Pheasant): Yes.
- Deer Hunting: Yes.
- Elk Hunting: Yes.
- Colorado Hunting Units/Areas: 4, 441
- Cross Country Skiing Trails: Trails start on site.
- Snowshoe Trails: Trails on site.
- Ice Fishing: On site.