Creede Underground Mining Museum
|Visit our Website|
Underground Mining Museum -- Blasted Out of Solid Rock Cliff
This museum was blasted out of solid rock to give visitors the actual feeling of what it was like to mine underground in Colorado's mountains. The mining tour starts when mining started in Creede and follows to modern day.
MUSEUM: The Underground Mining Museum comprises a series of rooms and tunnels blasted into the cliff face of Willow Creek Canyon at the north edge of town. Visitors experience the miner's subterranean workplace through a series of demonstrations and exhibits in shafts created specifically for that purpose. From early silver mining techniques to recent technology, the museum is an important part of Colorado's "Western Americana." The exhibit hall features 22 mineral and artifact displays and is a fitting prelude to your guided tour by an experienced hard rock miners. In winter enjoy our self-guided CD tours.
Outdoor covered picnic area is available to family before or after their visit, bring lunch and spend the day with us.
COMMUNITY CENTER: Weddings, Family Celebrations and Events: Our Community Center adjoins the Museum Cave and is a wonderful gathering place for large groups. The Creede Community Center is also underground and adjoins the Underground Mining Museum. It hosts several annual events: Woodcarver's Rendezvous in July, Creede Rock and Mineral Show in early August, and a Christmas Tree Walk in December. Every Monday night during the summer join the locals for Bingo. This is a fabulous location for your family celebration. AMENITIES: Full kitchen, restrooms, and audio/video equipment.
GIFT SHOP: Mineral and gemstones, mining and historic memorabilia, fun for the rock hound.
HOURS AND TOURS: The Museum is open year round, hours vary from summer to winter.
Summer Hours: May 24 to September 22, from 9am to 5pm daily.
Winter Hours: September 23 to May 23, from 10am to 3pm Tuesday-Saturday.
LOCATION: One minute north of Creede, just off the Silver Thread Scenic Byway (Highway 149).
ADDRESS: 503 Forest Service Road #9, Creede CO 81130
Call For Current Rates and Availability; To Make Your Reservations: 719-658-0811, mention the Colorado Vacation Directory.
- Elevation: 8852 feet above sea level.
- Region: Creede - Southwest, Colorado
- Credit Cards: Visa Card. MasterCard. Discover Card.
Technology For Guests To Use In a Common Area
- Internet Cafe: On site.
GROUPS REUNIONS AND WEDDINGS
- Groups Welcome: Club. Corporate. Reunion. Weddings. Youth group with adult leaders.
- Group Meeting Area: Indoor room and outdoor area.
- Conference Center: Meeting room with tables and chairs can be set up class room style. Some A/V equipment available for seminars. Call for more details.
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in Indoor Meeting Room: 500
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in COVERED Outdoor Picnic Area: 100
- Your Host will Cater or Arrange Meals with Advance Arrangements: Yes
- Your Host will Provide Wedding Planning Help: Yes
FUN THINGS TO DO
- Open Dates For On-Site Activities: All Year
Primarily Year Round Activities
- Museum: On site.
- Public Rec Center: On site.
- Internet Cafe: On site.
Primarily Summer Activities
- Cave Tours: On site.
- Mine Tours: On site.