Moffat County Tourism Association
|Visit our Website|
Blaze Your Own Trail to Moffat County | We Are Off-the-Beaten-Path and the Best Colorado Destination for Stargazers, Explorers and Nature Lovers
Lose the crowds and find your happy place! Explore millions of acres of public land and miles of wild, free-flowing rivers. Discover our unspoiled landscape, where hundreds of species of wildlife find sanctuary. There's no end to the off-roading, birding, fishing, hiking, and hunting in Moffat County.
MOFFAT COUNTY TOWNS and 2024 EVENTS
CRAIG is the gateway to adventure and incredible world-class topography; it is surrounded by Routt and White River National Forests.
DINOSAUR and the NATIONAL MONUMENT feature a wall of 1,500 dinosaur fossils for viewing and several hiking trails and picnic areas.
MAYBELL hosts the "Great American Horse Drive" and the "Where the Hell is Maybell Bike Event" each May, and in August, the Browns Park Wild Brunch Day.
HAMILTON is at the confluence of Morapos Creek and the Williams Fork River, offering up rainbow and brook trout.
LAY, almost a "ghost town," is known for the two world-renown wildlife photographers A. G. and Augusta Wallihan; their final resting places are at the historical cemetery overlooking the Lay valley.
MASSADONA is more of a Tavern and steakhouse than a town. Stop for a great western experience at this full bar with beer on tap. Call ahead to make sure they are open!
2024 Annual Events in Moffat County
May 4-5: The Great American Horse Drive - Maybell
May 4: Where the Hell is Maybell Bike Event - Craig to Maybell
May 24-27 (Memorial Day Weekend): Grand Old West Days - Craig
June 15: Yampa River Festival - Craig
June 20-22: Whittle the Wood Rendezvous - Craig
July 4-5: Ride 'n Tie Rodeo – Moffat County Fairgrounds – Craig
July 13: Homemade Homegrown - Downtown Craig
August 2-4: Moffat County Balloon Festival - Craig
August 17: Browns Park Wild Bunch Day - Browns Park
September 6-7: Dinosaur Stone Age Stampede Rodeo+ - Dinosaur, Colorado
November 23: Parade of Lights - Downtown Craig
The real treasures of Moffat County are seldom seen from the main roads. Venture a short distance in any direction, and you'll be amazed! For rugged adventurers looking to explore, Moffat County holds some of the wildest, wide-open terrain in Colorado. With nearly 2 million acres of public land and over 2,000 miles of county roads, Moffat provides numerous destinations for motocross, ATVs, and snowmobiles. ALL COUNTY ROADS ARE OPEN TO REGISTERED OHV TRAVEL. Our best advice is to stop in at some of our shops and restaurants and ask the locals about their favorite rides; we are sure they'll mention the Cross Mountain Canyon Overlook, Godiva Rim, and Freeman Reservoir Areas.
MOFFAT COUNTY HUNTING
Big Game Units include 1, 2, 201, 211, 3, 301, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, and 13. PRO TIP: The 2024 Primary Limited Licenses Draw happens in April by Colorado Parks & Wildlife. Northwest Colorado has a large big game population, and a remarkably high success rate makes Moffat County the best place for Colorado trophy hunting. Two of North America's largest migratory elk herds are found here, along with Mule Deer and Pronghorn populations. Young hunters will be successful with the area's small game, which is a wonderful way to experience our western independent heritage.
MAYBELL RV PARK
Maybell has a basic, no-frills RV Park, perfect for visiting the Sand Wash Basin BLM area to see the wild mustangs. This pet-friendly park is owned and run by the town of Maybell, with electric (30 AMP) only sites, a central dump station with fresh water, and a modern shower house. Rates are subject to the site selected. All reservations are handled online (use the link above). A bit down the road is a gas station and the Maybell General Store. It is quiet and safe along Highway 40 in Maybell, 30 miles west of Craig.
Craig is in northwest Colorado: 2-1/2 hours from Grand Junction; 4 hours from Denver and Fort Collins, Colorado, and Cheyenne, Wyoming; and 5 hours from Colorado Springs and Salt Lake City, Utah.
TOURIST INFORMATION CENTER ADDRESS: 775 Yampa Avenue, Craig CO 81625
PHONE: 970-824-2335 - For more information on daily activities and seasonal events, mention the Colorado Vacation Directory.
- Camping Open Dates: All Year
- Along a Highway: Easy access for quick and convenient RVing along Interstate or State Highways.
- RV Sites: 51
- Tent Sites: 51
- Total Sites: 51
- Electric Hookups: 20 sites with electric only.
- Electric & Water Hookups: 0 sites with electric and water only.
- Full Hookups: 0 sites with water, electric and sewer.
- 50 Amp Hookups: 0 sites with 50 amp electrical service.
- Long RV Sites 45+ Feet: 4 RV sites are 45 feet or longer.
- Pull-Thru Sites: 0
- RV Sites Wide Enough for Slideout(s): 51
- Hot Showers in Winter: Yes
- Elevation: 6000 feet above sea level.
- Region: Craig - Northwest, Colorado
- Region: Steamboat Springs - Northwest, Colorado
- Location: In Town.
- Setting: Mountain views. Country feel. Forested. Ranch setting.
- Restaurant: On site.
- Kid's Play Structure: On site.
- Credit Cards: Visa Card. MasterCard. Discover Card.
- Pets at Campground & RV Park: Pets are allowed at campsites for no additional cost. Well-behaved dogs or cats are allowed on a leash outdoors while their owners are on-site.
FUN THINGS TO DO
Primarily Year Round Activities
- National Park OR Monument: On site.
- National Forests & BLM Lands: On site.
- State Parks: On site.
- Designated Historic District, Site or Plaza: On site.
- Native American Reservation/Pueblo: On site.
- Indian Ruins - Archeological Site: On site.
- Ghost Town: On site.
- Designated Scenic/Historic Byway: Along the scenic byway.
- Designated Hiking Trails: Trails start on site.
- Museum: On site.
- Dinosaur - Archeological Site: On site.
- Golf Course: On site.
- Hot Air Balloon Rides: On site.
- Movie Theater: On site.
- Art Gallery: On site.
- Outlet/Mall Shopping: On site.
- Restaurant(s): On site.
Primarily Summer Activities
- Stocked Fishing Pond: On site.
- Fishing in River, Stream or Creek: On site.
- Fishing in Lake, Reservoir or Pond: On site.
- Guided Fishing Trips (Licensed): Wade Fishing. Float Fishing. Lake Fishing.
- Marina: On site.
- Fishing Tackle Sold: On site.
- Fly Shop: On site.
- Boat Rentals: Canoe, Raft, Row, Paddle &/or Motor: On site.
- Paddle Shop: On site.
- Whitewater Rafting Office/Pickup point: On site.
- Kayaking Rentals: On site.
- Designated Whitewater Park (Kayak, Canoe): On site.
- Horseback Trail Rides (Guided): On site.
- Horse Rides with a Wrangler (Open Range): On site.
- Horse Riding Lessons: On site.
- Jeep Trails: Trails start on site. (off road, back country, 4WD, Jeep, or jeeping).
- Jeep Rentals: On site. (off road, back country, 4WD, Jeep, or jeeping).
- Jeep Tours: On site (off road, back-country, 4WD, Jeep, or jeeping).
- 4-Wheel Drive Sales & Services: On site. (off road, back country, 4WD, Jeep, or jeeping).
- ATV (All Terrain Vehicles) and/or Dirt Bike Trails: Trails start on site.
- ATV (All Terrain Vehicles) and/or Dirt Bike Rentals: On site.
- ATV (All Terrain Vehicles) and/or Dirt Bike Tours: On site.
- ATV Sales & Services: On site.
- Historic/Cultural Tours: On site.
- Mountain Bike Trails: Trails start on site.
- Bike Path: Path starts on site.
- Bicycle Shop: On site.
- Waterfall Trails: Trails start on site.
- Performing Arts Theatre: On site.
- Hunting in Area: On site.
- Colorado Hunting Units/Areas: 2, 3, 10, 11, 211, 301
- Cross Country Skiing Trails: Trails start on site.
- Ski/Snowboard Equipment Rentals: On site.
- Snowshoe Trails: Trails on site.
- Ice Fishing: On site.
- Snowmobile Trails: Trails start on site.
- Snowmobile Rentals: On site.
- Snowmobile Tours: On site.
- Snowmobile Sales & Services: On site.
- Ice Skating (outdoor) Skates Available: On site.
- Ice Skating (indoor) Skates Available: On site.
- Sled/Tube Hill Equipment Available: On site.
- Sleigh Rides: On site.