Backcountry Outfitters: Piedra River Resort
|Visit our Web site|
You Will Enjoy a Fantastic Outdoor Mountain Experience
Horseback riding in southwest Colorado along the Piedra River. This backcountry outfitters resort offers horseback rides, fishing pack tours, and hunting trips near Pagosa Springs in San Juan National Forest.
We Offer You a Variety of Rides Leaving Daily from Piedra River Resort
One hour rides wind up nearby mountain trails through the enchanting forest offering excellent views of the Piedra Valley, an excellent ride for the novice horseman.
Two hour rides take a scenic loop to a lookout that gives a panoramic view of Chimney Rock National Monument.
1/2 day rides follow a trail along the Piedra River that the Anasazi Indians, 1859 prospectors, and western cowboys once used.
Full-Day excursions head north of the resort into an expedition of our backcountry. Here you will be following century old trails through grassy meadows, aspen groves, and tall pines. Unparalleled views of the high country demand you bring an empty memory card for your camera. A midway break for lunch provides an opportunity to indulge in the fresh mountain air. This is our most popular ride!
COWBOY COOKOUTS: Early Morning Breakfast or an Evening Steak Dinner. Come for a short ride to our cookout area set up amongst lodge pole pines -- complete with dining tables and benches, lean-to shelters, LP cookstove, and grill. The sumptuous aroma of outdoor cooking will satisfy your cowboy appetite.
HORSE PACK TRIPS -- Fishing, Photography, and Hunting
Pack into the historic San Juan Mountains and Weminuche Wilderness! Cross the Continental Divide following ancient trails left by the unknown! Whether fishing remote backcountry streams and lakes, filming the undisturbed flora and wildlife or just enjoying the crystal clear air and majestic mountain scenery, BACKCOUNTRY OUTFITTERS has a pack trip tailored to your dreams.
Hunting pack trips offered in fall (license #102). We are an equal opportunity service provider operating under special use permit in the San Juan National Forest, Weminuche Wilderness and Piedra Primitive Area.
LOCATION: 20 miles west of Pagosa Springs and 35 miles east of Durango on Highway 160, between milepost markers 121-122. Pagosa Springs CO 81157.
For Current Rates and Availability; To Make Your Reservations: 970-731-4630.
- Specialty Discounts (call for availability): Groups.
- Elevation: 6500 feet above sea level.
- Region: Pagosa Springs Area - Southwest, Colorado
- Credit Cards: Visa Card. MasterCard. Discover Card.
FUN THINGS TO DO
- Open Dates For On-Site Activities: 5/1 to 11/15
Primarily Year Round Activities
- National Forests & BLM Lands: On site.
Primarily Summer Activities
- Fishing in River, Stream or Creek: On site.
- Guided Fishing Trips (Licensed): Wade Fishing.
- Horseback Trail Rides (Guided): On site.
- Hunting in Area: On site.
- Guided Hunts: Yes.
- Drop Camps: Yes.
- Rifle Hunting Season: Yes.
- Archery Hunting Season: Yes.
- Muzzle Loading Hunting Season: Yes.
- Bird Hunting (Turkey, Grouse, Pheasant): Yes.
- Deer Hunting: Yes.
- Elk Hunting: Yes.
- Bear Hunting: Yes.
- Bighorn Sheep Hunting: Yes.
- Colorado Hunting Units/Areas: 77, 78,