Custer County Tourism Welcome Center
Come for the mountains, stay for the stars -- Vacation in Custer County!
YOUR HOME BASE FOR: Bishop Castle, Lake Isabel, and Mission: Wolf; three popular attractions in Custer County.
100+ MILES OF TRAILS: Take a hike to an alpine lake, ramble on the Rainbow Trail in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains or discover trails in the Wet Mountains.
EXCEPTIONAL STARGAZING: Our valley offers the highest elevation International Dark Sky Community in the world and the first in Colorado. Enjoy a star party at the Smokey Jack Observatory.
LOCATION: Custer County is in south central Colorado; Westcliffe is at the junction of Colorado Highways 69 and 96. The 2.5 hour drive from Denver starts by heading south on I-25 to exit 140 in Colorado Springs, take CO-115 southwest to Florence where you will turn south onto CO-67 that merges with CO-96 in Wetmore, then Westcliffe is a 26.5 mile drive from there. Fort Collins is a 4 hour drive, Grand Junction and Durango, Colorado; Albuquerque, New Mexico; and Amarillo, Texas are all 5 hour drives and Wichita, Kansas is an 8.5 hour drive.
CUSTER COUNTY TOURISM WELCOME CENTER: Stop in to learn about the Wet Mountain Valley, historic towns of Westcliffe and Silver Cliff, the Rainbow Trail, the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, and San Isabel National Forest. Pick up your Free Custer County Guidebook.
ADDRESS: 107 North 3rd Street, Westcliffe CO 81252
PHONE: 719-480-7230 -- For more information on daily activities and seasonal events, mention the Colorado Vacation Directory.
- Elevation: 9000 feet above sea level.
- Region: Westcliffe - South Central, Colorado
- Restaurant: On site.
FUN THINGS TO DO
- Open Dates For On-Site Activities: All Year
Primarily Year Round Activities
- National Park OR Monument: On site.
- National Forests & BLM Lands: On site.
- Designated Historic District, Site or Plaza: On site.
- Ghost Town: On site.
- Designated Scenic/Historic Byway: Along the scenic byway.
- Designated Hiking Trails: Trails start on site.
- Museum: On site.
- Movie Theater: On site.
- Art Gallery: On site.
- Restaurant(s): On site.
Primarily Summer Activities
- Fishing in River, Stream or Creek: On site.
- Fishing in Lake, Reservoir or Pond: On site.
- Fly Shop: On site.
- Horseback Trail Rides (Guided): On site.
- Horse Rides with a Wrangler (Open Range): On site.
- Horse Riding Lessons: On site.
- Jeep Trails: Trails start on site. (off road, back country, 4WD, Jeep, or jeeping).
- Jeep Rentals: On site. (off road, back country, 4WD, Jeep, or jeeping).
- ATV (All Terrain Vehicles) and/or Dirt Bike Trails: Trails start on site.
- ATV (All Terrain Vehicles) and/or Dirt Bike Rentals: On site.
- Historic/Cultural Tours: On site.
- Mountain Bike Trails: Trails start on site.
- Bicycle Shop: On site.
- Performing Arts Theatre: On site.
- Cowboy Supper & Show: On site.
- Hunting in Area: On site.
- Guided Hunts: Yes.
- Rifle Hunting Season: Yes.
- Archery Hunting Season: Yes.
- Muzzle Loading Hunting Season: Yes.
- Bird Hunting (Turkey, Grouse, Pheasant): Yes.
- Deer Hunting: Yes.
- Elk Hunting: Yes.
- Bear Hunting: Yes.
- Moose Hunting: Yes.
- Antelope Hunting: Yes.
- Colorado Hunting Units/Areas: 86, 84, 69, 691
- Cross Country Skiing Trails: Trails start on site.
- Snowshoe Trails: Trails on site.
- Ice Fishing: On site.
- Snowmobile Trails: Trails start on site.
- Ice Skating (outdoor) Skates Available: On site.
- Sled/Tube Hill Equipment Available: On site.
- Sleigh Rides: On site.