Museum of the Mountain West
|Visit our Web site|
Welcome . . . to Where History Comes Alive In WESTERN COLORADO
The Museum of the Mountain West is located in beautiful Montrose, Colorado. Approximately 40 western movies have been filmed in beautiful Colorado!
Experience what it was like to live in western Colorado during the time of pioneers, cowboys, ranchers, and the railroad. View 500,000 artifacts from the mountain west displayed in stores and offices from the 1880-1930.
WALK: 23 restored exterior and original buildings include a 2-story carriage house with blacksmith, a one-room schoolhouse, teacherage, hotel with saloon, railroad buildings and general store. Within the interior main building are 11 businesses with furnishings of the period.
GHOST ADVENTURES: Museum of the Mountain West was investigated by Zak and crew during their investigation, they uncover the property's violent history and gathered evidence of dangerous entities. Discover your own ghost adventure while in Montrose.
GIFT SHOP: Offers a wide selection of souvenirs from $1 to $3,000 including many antiques.
VENUE RENTAL: The 1913 German Lutheran Church Building is available for rent: weddings, banquets, seminars, concerts and holiday parties.
Tour the Museum of the Mountain West
ALL TOURS ARE GUIDED: A docent will escort your family allowing you to experience, learn and be playful in our western experience. Allow 2 hours for a complete tour. Among the buildings, highlights include an old saloon and general store both stocked with many original items from life back in the day. You will live western Colorado from the 1880s to the 1940s.
COST OF ADMISSION: $10 Adults; $5 Students under 18 years.
HOURS: Monday-Saturday from 8:30-4:30. All tours are guided and include the history and stories of the old west.
MUSEUM LOCATION: 2 miles east of Montrose, Colorado at the intersection of US Highway 50 and East Miami Road. From Grand Junction, Colorado drive South on US Highway 50 for about an hour. The main entrance is on Miami at 68169 E. Miami Road. Turn at the museum sign and park in front of the large metal building to your left when you enter the grounds.
ADDRESS: 68169 Miami Rd, Montrose CO 81401
Reservations suggested for tours for groups of 15 or more.
For Current Information; To Make Your Reservations: 970-240-3400 -- Mention the Colorado Vacation Directory.
- Specialty Discounts (call for availability): Groups.
- Elevation: 5806 feet above sea level.
- Region: Montrose Area - Southwest, Colorado
- Credit Cards: Visa Card. MasterCard. Discover Card. American Express.
GROUPS REUNIONS AND WEDDINGS
- Groups Welcome: Club. Reunion. Weddings. Youth group with adult leaders.
- Group Meeting Area: Indoor room.
- Conference Center: Meeting room with tables and chairs can be set up class room style. Some A/V equipment available for seminars. Call for more details.
- Maximum # of Day-Use Guests in Indoor Meeting Room: 100
- Your Host will Provide Wedding Planning Help: Yes
FUN THINGS TO DO
- Open Dates For On-Site Activities: All Year
Primarily Year Round Activities
- Museum: On site.
Primarily Summer Activities
- Historic/Cultural Tours: On site.