Lake Estes Fishing Map
Click Trout Symbols on Map for More Fishing Information
- The Big Thompson River flows out of Lake Estes and follows US 34 through Drake and down to Loveland. The river offers plenty of 10 to 12-inch brown and rainbow trout for anglers and is a favorite spot for fly-fishers in July and August. Avoid the river in the winter months, though, - it's often very cold and difficult to fish.
- Lake Estes is located on the west end of Estes Park between US 34 from Fort Collins and US 36 from Boulder and Denver. With roughly 185 surface acres of water, the lake teems with rainbow trout stocked regularly by the Colorado Department of Wildlife.
- The nearby Lake Estes marina sells fishing licenses, which are required for anglers 16 and older at the lake, and rents boats from kayaks to pontoons. A launch site is also available for those who bring their own boats, but hours for power boating are limited, so be sure to check ahead if your watercraft is motorized.
- Take a break from fishing to enjoy the lake's many picnic and barbecue areas or play a game of volleyball or horseshoes. The marina also rents bikes for the Lake Estes trail.
- Make sure you hit the lake in the spring and summer though; all facilities are closed in the winter.
- The north fork of the Big Thompson River is located north of Estes Park and runs through the town of Glen Haven to its confluence with the Big Thompson. The river can be accessed from Estes Park via CR 41 or CR 63, which connect to CR 43. From Drake, travel west on CR 43 until the river begins north of Glen Haven in Rocky Mountain National Park. Anglers 16 years and older must have a fishing license to cast in the park. There are also possession limits on certain types of fish and some areas of the North Fork are catch and release only. Check with the park before entering to get the most current information.
Places to Stay & Fun Things to Do
Blackhawk Cabins are 2 miles from Rocky Mountain National Park. Fish Fall River. Relaxing Riverside Hot Tub. LOG CABINS in Estes Park: Woodburning fireplace, good WiFi, kitchen, loft with pine interior.
Intimate 1 and 2 bedroom cabins on Fall River. RIVERFRONT cabins and vacation home in Estes Park. Rocky Mountain National Park surrounds The Evergreens. Romance Package: roses, spa, chocolates.
More Activities & Information
Estes Park, Colorado includes: Drake