Colorado Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking
White River Rafting & Kayaking
Rafting in the Colorado Rockies is a breathtaking experience-literally. Each spring, massive volumes of snowmelt makes its way from the high country, squeezes through canyons and creates whitewater, the essence of rafting. Outfitters operate commercial raft trips on 13 river systems throughout Colorado. River guides are entertainers, historians, geologists, biologists and chefs. Along with the excitement and laughter, you'll also come away from a Colorado river trip with an education. The State of Colorado requires that commercial river outfitters be licensed. The majority of rafting trips take place from May through August. There are Minimum age requirements depending on the classification of whitewater.
The International Rapid Rating Scale:
- Class I: Easy. Fast moving water with riffles, small waves.
- Class II: Novice. Straightforward rapids, wide, clear channels.
- Class III: Intermediate. Rapids, moderate, irregular waves.
- Class IV: Advanced. Intense, powerful rapids, precise boat handling.
- Class V: Expert. Long, obstructed, violent rapids.
Places to Stay & Fun Things to Do
Near Meeker in White River National Forest and Flat Tops Wilderness. Scenic trail rides, Belgian horse wagon rides, high country fishing camp at Marvine Lake, guided big game hunting, and drop camps.
More Activities & Information
Meeker, Colorado includes: Buford, Trappers Lake